Sunday, February 28, 2010

A split in the Ward, and a Choose and Review



Today's activity was using my poster with the musical staff on it.  I put songs on the back of 8 notes and put the notes on the piano.  A reverent child was chosen and they picked a note and put it on the staff.  Then we sang the song.  When we had sung all 8 songs we had the pianist play the song they had "written". 

This last week our ward split.  We have had the most enormous ward, and while it was wonderful to be with so many great people, a split was not a surprise.  Our ward and another were split from two to three wards.  Our primary now consists of a small group from my ward and a larger group from the other ward.  I got a list of songs from their singing leader and most of them were thankfully the same.  I tried to incorporate some of their favorites in with ours and it went really well.  One of my frustrations is having spent two months on the signing for IKTMSLM and now I need to spend a week at least teaching the signs to the new children.  I also want to do activities to bring the kids together and help them feel comfortable together. Change can be just as difficult for the kids as the adults.  There are now about 20 kids in Jr. and about 20 in Sr. Primary, less than half of what we had before.  This also means that the kids in Jr. Primary go all the way up to 7 year olds and that makes me want to leap in the air with joy.  We have readers in Jr. Primary!!!!!    Lots to think about this week.

3 comments:

  1. This is such a great activity, although the pianist finds it a challenge. The kids do love it. The change in your numbers will be nice I'm sure. The singing time options seem to increase with a bit of a smaller crowd!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea - I will definitely use with my ward's kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How would it be to have a small primary. We currently have about 90 in each. We hear a split is in the works. I hope we can transition as easily as you have! I love this idea too! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete