Monday, March 30, 2009

Jesus wants me for a Sunbeam

I had planned to review "I Belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints" with the Sr. Primary and teach it to the Jr. Primary. I had my poster all ready. I was sitting in Sacrament meeting which was also testimony meeting and it occurred to me that what I really needed to be doing was singing Jesus wants me for a Sunbeam. So I crack open the book, because i'll be honest, even I don't know the second verse. I made up four visual aids real quick for the song, on lined writing paper.
Jesus wants me to be loving - heart
And kind to all I see - an eye and a sea (water) although a C would have worked
Showing how pleasant and happy - I wrote pleasant with a smile below it
His little one can be - little 1
The kids just ate this verse up, they learned it really quick, probably because the music was already really familiar to them - and they already know the chorus. Once we had the words we sang it legato and staccato, which is is always fun. Then of course I turned the poster over and we did do the other song as well. Two songs in one week!
The thing I found most surprising was that a few kids asked me after primary if we could sing the song I made up again. It took me a minute to realize that they thought I made up the second sunbeam verse. Wow. Maybe only pianists knew there was another verse. I am excited though to have them know the second verse, it's a lot more reverent and since they love singing the song, this gives more to sing. More happiness all around.
I also did use the singing spray to lubricate vocal chords. Who would have known - IT WORKS!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment