Monday, March 23, 2009

Good old Choose and Review

The notice came down from the top - we are only singing for Mothers and Father's day this year. I have never lived in a ward where the Primary sings so rarely in Sacrament Meeting. It's kind of a disappointment to me, but also a relief, it can be very stressful. With this in mind, i'm not teaching the Easter songs like I thought, now we can work on them for the pleasure of singing, instead of practicing to sing them in the Chapel. This frees up the schedule a bit and gives me an extra week to review.
Yesterday I put on the trusty apron and we had choose and review. We sang Scripture Power, and Called to Serve, mostly their favorites with some new ones thrown in. It was a lot of fun. I love seeing them hold their scriptures above their head when we sing Scripture Power. It's a wonderful song.
My Mom wrote yesterday about her Chorister. This is what they did:
Today Sister Webb did something she said her sister told her to try. We were learning a song for Easter and it was going slowly. p. 65 He Died That We Might Live Again. She recorded the melody (she plays the piano) on her father-in-law's electric keyboard in these sounds: sax, choir, metal drums, clavichord, galaxy, flute, piano, bells, guitar, etc. She wrote a list of the musical instruments on the board and when the kids heard the song played, they had to guess the sound and then we sang with that sound. We sang the song about 8 or more times with all these different sounds. It was a lot of fun and they could hardly wait to sing with the new sounds. She used a cassette recorder and a cassette. Again I like hearing the kids repeat a song over and over without even noticing. Mom
I thought this was a great idea, after all repetition is a key to learning. I had the JR primary sing the first line of "I Belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints" a couple of times yesterday. It's a new experiment, i'm teaching a line a week, just to see how that goes. So far, so good. The Stake meeting is Tuesday, I have to nail down an idea soon, but if I know myself, i'll come up with something tomorrow about 5pm and scramble to get it ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment